Purpose built: Duveen and the commercial art gallery
In late 1912, the Duveen Brothers opened their first purpose-built art gallery in New York City at 720 Fifth Avenue. Sited in a residential neighborhood favored by the Gilded Age elite and borrowing its architectural vocabulary from the Beaux-Arts tradition, it signaled the epitome of upper-class domesticity, but the building was also a finely tuned machine for the business of selling art. This article explores how these two distinct modes of operation were managed and integrated, utilizing a virtual reconstruction of the now demolished building developed from the original architectural plans recently discovered in the archives at the Getty Research Institute.
Nineteenth-Century Art Worldwide
Helmreich, Anne; Sterrett, Edward; and Van Ginhoven, Sandra, "Purpose built: Duveen and the commercial art gallery" (2021). Pepperdine University, Faculty Open Access Publications. Paper 223.